Tuesday 1 March 2016

D+222 - "The Needle and the Damage Done* "

Haematology Clinic last week saw some slightly confusing results.  The platelet level which had been falling in January has doubled during the course of February but my haemoglobin which had briefly been normal two or three months ago has gradually fallen and is now 10.7 - it should be at least 13.0gm/dl.

The upshot of this is that I'm now on erythropoetin injections twice a week for a month to try and stimulate the bone marrow graft to do its job.  "Epo" is what some cyclists and other athletes used to use to boost their performance.  I've cancelled my entry to the Tour de France and I'm out of the British Olympic team - actually I was never in it!

I've had two injections so far so it is too soon to notice any difference.  Anyway I seem to tolerate anaemia pretty well so it may be sometime before I feel the benefit, assuming it works.

Karine and I have been taking advantage of the crisp cold winter weather and been keeping up the walking.  Last Monday we walked with Andy and Linda by the Trent in Burton Joyce just outside Nottingham, lots of bird life and sunshine.  A couple of days later we saw a cormorant at Bestwood Mill Lakes, we both thought cormorants lived by the sea, Nottingham is about as far inland as you can get.  We also saw grey herons nesting on the island at Wollaton hall.  It sounds like we are becoming regular twitchers but don't be fooled, most small birds still look like 'little brown jobs' to me.

* Neil Young - "Harvest"  track 9

No comments: