Monday 21 September 2015

D+60 - "Maggie's Farm* " - well not exactly a farm

Hurray - I am 60 today - 60 days post transplant that is, so I suppose my stem cells are 60!  The rest of me won't see 60 again!

Mostly good days in the last week or so but every now and then there is a day when I'm quite a lot more tired, something to be expected but frustrating after a run of better days.

On Saturday my brother Patrick called in & Karine suggested he & I take a walk in the top of Woodthorpe park. It was a lovely morning & we ended up walking all round the park, quite a lot further than intended but well worth it.  It was lovely to spend time doing something so normal & to talk about everything from family matters, the nursing home & even Jeremy Corbyn! That afternoon Karine & I did a circuit of Mill Lake in Bestwood,  When I think that walking half way along our road was all I could manage five weeks ago the change is fantastic. The next day I paid the price, tiredness ++ but still worth it!

Maggie's Centre

We have a Maggie's Centre in the grounds of the City Hospital. It is a haven of peace & beauty in the midst of all the hustle & stress of cancer. I have only been in there two or three times, too busy being an inpatient etc but Karine has called in fairly often & is always welcomed & supported. Below is a quote from their website.
Maggie’s provides free practical, emotional and social support to people with cancer and their family and friends, following the ideas about cancer care originally laid out by Maggie Keswick Jencks.
Built in the grounds of NHS cancer hospitals, Maggie’s Centres are places with professional staff on hand to offer the support people need.
Our Centres are places to find practical advice about benefits and eating well; places where qualified experts provide emotional support; places to meet other people; places where you can simply sit quietly with a cup of tea.
The first Maggie’s Centre opened in Edinburgh in 1996 and since then Maggie’s has continued to grow, with 17 Centres at major NHS cancer hospitals in the UK, online and abroad.
The building in Nottingam is wonderful to look at & the Paul Smith interior is just right. More are being built around the country. Every cancer unit should have one.



There is more on their website - Maggie's Centre 

*Bob Dylan "Bringing It All Back Home" 3rd track



No comments: