Friday 11 September 2015

D+50 - "Rolling Down The Road* "

Good news from Thursday's clinic. My bone marrow looks normal so I'm still in remission. As usual Prof was right to be so unconcerned about the result when I saw him last week.

The cytogenetics etc are not back yet so no news on the Minimal Residual Disease front. My bone marrow is virtually all my sister's - 98% - which is good. The tiny bit of my own bone marrow doesn't appear to be doing anything. 100% of my peripheral blood is coming from her. I am definitely a chimera - sounds weird - a living being with two distinct populations of genetically different cells ie   from two separate beings! In Greek mythology, a monster!

My remaining immunosuppressant, cyclosporin, is gradually being reduced. If all goes well then at the present rate it will finish in late October or early November. That will just leave me on antimicrobials - antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal agents. Still quite a cocktail but fewer tablets and not toxic like the chemotherapy and immunosuppressants.

After clinic we walked all the way round the Mill Lake in Bestwood village. It is not very far but last week I could only manage about a third of the way round and had to turn back. This time I did it with ease. Next week I have an assessment to see if I can start rehab and physiotherapy at the hospital. The department runs a seven week course for recovering haematology patients.

I have gone very deaf in the past few weeks which is very trying for both of us. Fluid in the ears. This is a separate problem to the leukaemia so I'm off to see ENT but not till mid November which is a long wait. Our GP is trying to get it brought forward but nothing yet. It is a real pain. It's just another thing we could both do without - grrrr!

This weekend we plan to have a few hours in Longstone in Derbyshire. This will be my first time outside Nottingham in five months and Karine too has only very very rarely been away from Nottingham in all that time. The weather forecast is not great but who cares.

Finally as I've mentioned before Lucy and Alexi are doing the Great North Run this coming Sunday in aid of research into blood cancers. Please do consider supporting them if you haven't done so already and a very big thank you if you've already donated. As usual the link to their JustGiving page is below.

Alexi & Lucy's JustGiving page

*Dylan again - "Wheels On Fire". Basement Tapes, I think!

No comments: