Saturday 23 July 2016

D+366 - "Birthday" *

Had a bone marrow aspirate two days ago on Thursday morning.  Unfortunately the samples kept clotting in the cannula so eventually one of the doctors was called in to sort me out.  All in all they needed three separate attempts to get enough bone marrow, three separate stabs through the pelvic bone - ouch ouch ouch!  As usual the result will be available in a week or two - most probably at the next clinic visit in early Aug.

The samples clotted very quickly last time as well.  At that time the doctors told me there was no significance to this or any cause for concern.  Nevertheless the registrar who finally managed to get some samples has ordered some extra blood tests to see if anything else is going on - unrelated to AML if I've understood correctly - hurray!

As far as I know this eighth bone marrow aspirate is the last routine one - hurray!

The reduction in prednisolone continues without incident - I've been on 1mg for a week and come off it altogether in a week's time - hurray!

And now.....

I am one!

That is to say Saturday 23rd July, is the first anniversary of my transplant, a sort of rebirth - hurray!

It's been a rough year for both Karine & me but we seem to have come through the challenges intact if somewhat 'scathed' (is that the opposite of unscathed?!).  This perhaps should be a time for reflection and deep insights into the human condition but the main feeling I have is one of gratitude for all the help and support we have had from the hospital, family, friends, and fellow sufferers and I am just so grateful to be here at all.  In so many ways I have been very fortunate.

As for the future we hope to catch up with family and friends by doing some travelling and visiting in the coming months unless events overtake us again.

As mentioned in the previous blog, last Sunday we did the Bloodwise walk at Carsington.  It was a beautiful day, sunshine and a light breeze.  Margaret & Neil, Alexi's in-laws/Lucy's parents and Lucy & Mike, my sister & brother-in-law came along as well.

I managed about 30% of the circuit and then turned back - a distance of about five miles - Karine and the others did the whole eight mile circuit.  This was followed up with a picnic by the lake provided by Margaret and a visit to Scarthin Books in Cromford on the way home - an absolutely wonderful secondhand bookshop, worth a long detour if you like second hand books and are anywhere near south Derbyshire.

* Beatles - White Album - first track disc 2

No comments: