Friday 1 April 2016

D+253 - "we get better but we never get well* "

Still in hospital, feeling better but tired from lack of sleep. I'm on a urology ward - for the moment - the noise level is best described as 'variable'.  The anaerobic tics are doing their work (that should have ready 'antibiotics' but a combination of my erratic typing and the autocorrect came up with something much better and much more appropriate, E Coli is a type of anaerobic bug!).

Eight months post transplant and I had hoped that by now I would be beginning to move on from leukaemia and transplants and looking back at some of the blogs from last summer things are not the same as they were then, thank goodness.  However I hadn't anticipated how much of a problem GvHD would be or how much medication I would still need let alone these episodes of septicaemia.  At the moment there is no end in sight to the GvHD or to the medication I still need to take - currently down to about 160 tablets a week.

Infection and relapse are the two big threats.  I've recently read of someone whose AML relapsed after five years so the proverbial 'woods' go on for quite some way yet - I'm not sure if this person had had a transplant or not - transplants reduce the risk of relapse significantly.  The sunlit uplands on the other side of the woods are some way off yet.

Karine has been bringing me food whilst I've been in here, an absolute godsend, and it looks like I will be in for another three to six days depending on how long microbiology recommend I should remain on IV 'anaerobic tics'   ;-)

*Paul Simon - Hearts and Bones - a line from "Allergies", the opening track.  A much underrated Paul Simon album from 1983 - some lovely songs, beautifully arranged and sung especially the tribute to John Lennon and 'Train in the Distance'

No comments: