Thursday 24 December 2015

D+154 - "Ring Out Solstice Bells* "

Clinic with Prof this morning went very well.  The GvHD has been much calmer for the past week or more so he is reducing the steroids gradually which is good news since I am getting more and more of the characteristic 'moon face' of someone on long term steroids.  I've been on them since early October and was on a high dose for most of November.  They also cause insomnia as does the Ciclosporin.  Every now and then I get over tired and hit a break wall.  I'd stopped having a daytime nap sometime ago but have had to go back to having a catch up sleep every few days as well taking a sleeper about once a week.

The haematology blood results continue to improve.  For the first time since I was diagnosed in April I am NO LONGER ANAEMIC, my Hb has just crept over the line - fantastic news - the stem cell graft is working really well.  The other blood parameters are more or less normal or only marginally adrift.

As for the chest pains, they only come on if I exert myself so I've virtually stopped all exercise for the moment.  Prof pointed out that some of the current medication can cause chest pain behind the breast bone due to oesophageal spasm so I'm now taking extra tablets as a diagnostic trial to see if this will abolish the pain.

Whilst Karine and I were in clinic Prof rang his secretary to see if my cardiac assessment appointment could be brought forward from mid-January as a result of which I now go to Cardiology on 31st December directly after next week's haematology clinic.  At the end of this assessment they can generally say whether this is cardiac ischaemia or not.  If it looks like ischaemia they will plan the next investigations there and then all being well - the 'patient pathway' in the current NHS jargon though by the time you read this there will probably be a new phrase!  If the result is negative I'm slung out on my neck as a fraud - suits me fine!

Lastly, this is to wish you a very Happy Christmas and to say thank you to everyone for the marvellous support you've given Karine and me throughout the last eight months.  Your support has meant a lot to both of us.

With much love

David & Karine

* Jethro Tull - Christmas Album - Ring Out Solstice Bells - track 13

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have a happy Christmas and hopefully and healthier new year.
Sylvain